I’m alive! I swear!
It’s been pretty hectic around here.
Sudden foster son (baby!) + the legal and other crap associated with it + asshole family drama + school + emergency move + work and the rest of life = Quite a bit of heck. Thankfully my husband gives such incredible support.
Anyway, I don’t have photos cause I still don’t know where my gosh darned camera is – STILL. I kept not posting with the hopes that it will pop up, but frankly, it’s in one of dozens of still sealed boxes that are pretty low on my concerns list right now.
So for the time being, you’re just going to have to visit the source. This was absolutely brilliant and delicious. The only change I would make to the original recipe is to remove the skins because I was sharing with a 10 month old that only has 2.5 teeth. I had some pretty wicked tough, sour apples, so I did cook it a little longer than she suggested, but I don’t recommend doing it. I wished they had a little more bite.
Oh, and I might add some toasted pecans or walnuts…
Rest assured the husband figure loved this, and the baby figure was very very angry that I wasn’t feeding it to him fast enough, and he made very yummy noises, so I’m guessing he loved it too.
Pics and original recipe at Kalyns Kitchen.
- Peel, core and chop (roughly, in various sizes) 2-3 Granny Smiths (Apples. Not actual grandmothers please.)
- Add them to a lined or non stick sprayed crock pot. (I used a 4 quart, Kalyn used 2.5, so use what you’ve got)
- Add in 2-3 Tbsp sugar or equivalent of Stevia or Splenda (you can add more later if you want it sweeter), 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice, 1/2 tsp salt, and 3-3 1/2 cups water.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes on high.
- Stir in 1.5 cups rolled oats and cook for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, depending on how you like your oatmeal.